10 Small Steps To Improve Your Health
Many of us make health-related resolutions, such as to lose weight, stop smoking
or join the local health club. While it is common to set high goals, experts
say that setting smaller goals could do more for our health.
Small steps are much more achievable and are easier to fit into your daily routine.
They are less overwhelming than a big, sudden change.
1. Keep an eye on your weight and work on making sure you are not gaining extra
pounds. Even if you gain just a pound or two every year, the extra weight adds up
2. Take more small steps. Use a pedometer to count your daily steps; then add
2,000, the equivalent of one extra mile. Keep adding steps, 1,000 to 2,000 each
month or so, until you take 10,000 steps on most days.
3. Eat breakfast. Breakfast eaters tend to weigh less and have better diets overall.
For a filling and nutrition-packed breakfast, try old fashioned porridge oats made with nut milk, topped with fresh fruits/ berries.
4. Switch to whole grain for everything, think bread, rice, pasta. Its has so much more nutritional value and fill up with veggies.
5. Have at least one big salad every day. Eating a salad is filling and may help you eat less during the meal. It also counts toward your daily veggies... lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, pomegranate, avocado, the list is endless.
6. Trim the fat. Fat has a lot of calories, and calories count. Purchase lean meats,
eat poultry without the skin, use a non-stick pan with only a dab of oil or butter.
7. Drink your water! You may think your hungry but actually your body might be thirsty. Always have water before a meal so that your hydrated and less empty.
8. Downsize. The smaller the plate, bag, bottle or bowl, the less you will eat.
9. Lose just 5 to 10 percent of your current weight. The health benefits are huge - lower blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides.
10. Keep track of your eating. Write down what you eat over the next couple of
days and look for problem spots. Often, just writing things down can help you eat